DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Discussions > Dog Training

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4

Rep: 10 WolfieX is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Exclamation Suddenly refusing his crate?

Hey guys I have a question about crates and dogs!


I have always crate trained my dogs and it definitely comes in handy!! Recently, we took in another puppy of a smaller breed. Our older dog has always gone into his crate with the command "Crate" with no problems, until recently... Suddenly when you say "Crate" he lays down and refuses. If you try to pick him up, he runs into the living room floor and flops down again, or will peek you from the corner. He is a one year old male, altered. German Shepherd and Belgian mallinoise on his dads side, Lab and pit mix on his mothers side, a VERY smart dog and strong so he is hard to force into his crate on the occassions where we have no choice because we are making an outing and won't be home.
What I wanted to know, is there ANY way this could be because of the new puppy? That is about the time it happened, the puppy has his own crate nearby.

My first thought is maybe he is having puberty issues and pushing or testing his limits again but he still seems submissive, when we go to get his collar he just rolls on his back for us. Is it just plain refusal? His cage is big enough for him to stand, turn around in and eat in as should be... The only difference with the cage is that he ruined his bed and we have still not replaced it.
Also, he has began to bark/howl during his stay in his kennel which he did as a young pup but he phased out of it (I thought) We rent this house and when our lease is up we were planning to move to a different location...But it is a MUST for a well behaved dog again as many pet owners understand that it is hard to find new homes with pets, especially a big dog like this one.

WolfieX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
FrodoMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,362

Rep: 18 FrodoMom is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 4
Default

Is it possible that maybe you took the crate apart and he saw you do it? We used to have a collapsible crate and my dog at that time saw me fold it up and move it so I could clean the floor under it. He would not go in that crate again after that. I figured he must have been really smart to have figured that out! Luckily we didn't need to use the crate so much by that point.
Does your puppy have the ability to play fun find it games? Maybe you can make a game out of crate time but not close the door on him until he becomes comfortable with it.
I was told by my dog trainer to never use the crate as punishment, but I have had to place my border collie pup in time out because he would not leave his older brother alone.
__________________
Not all who wander are lost.

FrodoMom is offline FrodoMom's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Forum Director
 
JGLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,458

Rep: 96 JGLI will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 50
Default

This is fairly common if the dog has been frightened by something in/on/near the crate or somehow pinched or injured himself, it is possible he could have done something like that? I have also heard of people successfully reintroducing the crate after it has been thoroughly washed and bedding changed.
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.

JGLI is offline JGLI's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4

Rep: 10 WolfieX is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoMom View Post
Is it possible that maybe you took the crate apart and he saw you do it? We used to have a collapsible crate and my dog at that time saw me fold it up and move it so I could clean the floor under it. He would not go in that crate again after that. I figured he must have been really smart to have figured that out! Luckily we didn't need to use the crate so much by that point.
Does your puppy have the ability to play fun find it games? Maybe you can make a game out of crate time but not close the door on him until he becomes comfortable with it.
I was told by my dog trainer to never use the crate as punishment, but I have had to place my border collie pup in time out because he would not leave his older brother alone.
The dog I meant was having issues is actually our one year old male dog, though he has figured out that his crate can move and so forth maybe I will try to reintroduce it like the below comment says (: Sounds like that may be a good idea!

WolfieX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:04 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4

Rep: 10 WolfieX is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGLI View Post
This is fairly common if the dog has been frightened by something in/on/near the crate or somehow pinched or injured himself, it is possible he could have done something like that? I have also heard of people successfully reintroducing the crate after it has been thoroughly washed and bedding changed.
Reintroducing it with a new bedding sounds like a good plan! I will need to try this to see if it helps. We also found that if we crate the 2 side by side it helps as well (on both ends) but I worry about if one has to be left home alone without the other so Id like to avoid this lol.
He might have injured himself or pinched himself because we did find that his top part of his collapsable crate was unhinged. Will let everybody know how it goes!

WolfieX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bigboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK: Stoke on trent
Posts: 13,349

Rep: 73 Bigboy will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoMom View Post
Is it possible that maybe you took the crate apart and he saw you do it? We used to have a collapsible crate and my dog at that time saw me fold it up and move it so I could clean the floor under it. He would not go in that crate again after that. I figured he must have been really smart to have figured that out! Luckily we didn't need to use the crate so much by that point.
Does your puppy have the ability to play fun find it games? Maybe you can make a game out of crate time but not close the door on him until he becomes comfortable with it.
I was told by my dog trainer to never use the crate as punishment, but I have had to place my border collie pup in time out because he would not leave his older brother alone.
It could be that in fact he can be trusted and doesn't need the crate now?
While they have their uses they should be a temporary thing in a dogs life
__________________
" Iam chillin with the forum! "

Thanks Monkey! I been fleeced Thanks Skunkstripe. Dave

ATB!

Bigboy is offline Bigboy's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4

Rep: 10 WolfieX is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
It could be that in fact he can be trusted and doesn't need the crate now?
While they have their uses they should be a temporary thing in a dogs life
Unfortunately he still has not matured enough to be trusted alone. I believe it is about 3 years before he will mature due to his breed, our previous GSD did not mature out of her puppy phase until about 3 years of age. He is fine when supervised, but when we sleep or we leave the house he must be crated so he doesn't get into things.
We've attempted to leave him out on occassions at night and woke up to chewed clothing (chewed them completely in half lol) rumaging through our trash can and so on. We have also tried to let him stay in the living room with everything blocked off when we went on a quick errand and came back to him destroying the trash and ripped up a cushion lol!!!
As soon as he is able though we plan to upgrade the puppy to his crate and let Fox roam the house freely without supervision, sadly still a ways off though.

WolfieX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bigboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK: Stoke on trent
Posts: 13,349

Rep: 73 Bigboy will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfieX View Post
Unfortunately he still has not matured enough to be trusted alone. I believe it is about 3 years before he will mature due to his breed, our previous GSD did not mature out of her puppy phase until about 3 years of age. He is fine when supervised, but when we sleep or we leave the house he must be crated so he doesn't get into things.
We've attempted to leave him out on occassions at night and woke up to chewed clothing (chewed them completely in half lol) rumaging through our trash can and so on. We have also tried to let him stay in the living room with everything blocked off when we went on a quick errand and came back to him destroying the trash and ripped up a cushion lol!!!
As soon as he is able though we plan to upgrade the puppy to his crate and let Fox roam the house freely without supervision, sadly still a ways off though.
Understandable what also helps when the day comes is to make sure there are plenty of toys he can chew on to keep him occupied and when he is out of crate start redirection training should he try to get to something he shouldn't be in. One toy in particular which is so far proving to be indestructable is a Booma Ball I had one given to me a while back and Nipper loves it and it's solid and Nipper can't figure out how to burst it or shred it but always has a good go at it LOL HTH
__________________
" Iam chillin with the forum! "

Thanks Monkey! I been fleeced Thanks Skunkstripe. Dave

ATB!

Bigboy is offline Bigboy's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
FrodoMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,362

Rep: 18 FrodoMom is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 4
Default

My 7 month old border collie can't be trusted quite yet because he chews on furniture and can evade all baby gates. He is extremely agile! I really hope to have him be done with chewing soon because I'm afraid he will ingest something bad.
I have modified my schedule so that he doesn't have to be in there for a long time, so I feel like I'm back to being a new mom with toddler children! I took on this responsibility so I just have to deal with it. But I'm missing those long mileage bike rides and the freedom I used to have.
__________________
Not all who wander are lost.

FrodoMom is offline FrodoMom's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Forum Director
 
JGLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,458

Rep: 96 JGLI will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
It could be that in fact he can be trusted and doesn't need the crate now?
While they have their uses they should be a temporary thing in a dogs life
Just to clarify, the use of a crate should not be a temporary thing. The benefits of crate training are evident throughout a dog's life. Dogs are often hospitalized, recuperating at home, need to travel, and situations arise where the dog may need to be isolated or confined. As well, the crate is the dog's
"safe area". A dog may not always need a crate to curb destructive behaviors or for potty training purposes, but the crate will have multiple uses and once a dog is comfortably crate trained, the crate need not be removed.
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.

JGLI is offline JGLI's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
altered, crate, gsd, refusal, training


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.