DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Discussions > Puppies

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Riverview, FL
Posts: 1,460

Rep: 64 Areias will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 24
Default "Developing High Achievers" Article

I think I got this off another forum...I don't think it was this one, so I'm going to post it. I found it interesting enough to bookmark, which I don't do often. With all the puppies born around here I think you guys would find it interesting. It is on how "planned" stress will create an all around better dog and canine competitor. Feel free to debate their theories. It's somewhat of a lengthy article but well worth the read.

Link: http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/achiever.html

Quote:
While experiments have not yet produced specific information about the optimal amounts of stress needed to make young animals psychologically or physiologically superior, researches agree that stress has value.

Areias is offline Areias's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 13,352

Rep: 315 KatzNK9 is a jewel in the roughKatzNK9 is a jewel in the roughKatzNK9 is a jewel in the roughKatzNK9 is a jewel in the rough
Unique Rep: 88
Default

I definitely agree with that theory! I think it is benficial to cats too! Great share! Thank you!
__________________
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I've been sprung, scorched, boo'd, hugged, sniffed, admired, gobbled, frosted & HoHoHo'd.

KatzNK9 is offline KatzNK9's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
All American Dog Lover
 
skunkstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England USA
Posts: 20,995

Rep: 359 skunkstripe is just really niceskunkstripe is just really niceskunkstripe is just really niceskunkstripe is just really nice
Unique Rep: 142
Default

I read about that in one of Stanley Coren's books, I think he was referring to the source that you posted Areias. I haven't read that article, but I read the conclusions that Coren had written, and there seem to be something to it!
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.
Thanks Fede for the sigpic!

I've been fleeced by Draco!

skunkstripe is offline skunkstripe's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
agilityk9trainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,104

Rep: 217 agilityk9trainer has a spectacular aura aboutagilityk9trainer has a spectacular aura aboutagilityk9trainer has a spectacular aura about
Unique Rep: 59
Default

When I look for a breeder, I am looking for one who will use such stimulation on the pups, as it is generally considered to be true. I want pups who are "over achievers" obviously. I want to have pups who have been given every opportunity to develop into stress-free performance dogs. I also found this statement of interest:

"Breeders can now take advantage of the information available to improve and enhance performance. Generally, genetics account of about 35% of the performance but the remaining 65% (management, training, nutrition) can make the difference. "

I wonder where they got the 35/65 ratio? It does sound about right to me, but that's just my experience.
__________________
MACH4 PACH Aslan MXF, TQX, MXB2, MJS2, MXP2, MJP3, XFP, T2BP, MXPB, MJPS, PAX, RAE, EAC, EJC, OCC, WV-O, TN-N, CD, TG-N, RS-N, JS-N, R2-CL, CGC, TDI, FFX-AG (11 year old sheltie)
Jericho CDX, RAE, NAP, NJP, OA, NAJ, CD, OJS, NAS, R1-MCL, CGC, FFX-AP (9 year old hard of hearing sheltie)
Asher MX, MXJ, MXF, MXB, T2B, RN, CGC (5 year sheltie)
Laika NAJ, CGC (American Eskimo 1997 - 2012)

agilityk9trainer is offline agilityk9trainer's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.