DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Breeds > Mixed Breeds and Others

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: 10 Arztwolf is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default What all is in Kieber?

I would love to know whats in my little terror demon. Especially whats causing the "terror" part.

Kieber was found along a very busy road by a woman and her young son. She brought him to our shelter and I "adopted" him (he was given to me for free) several weeks later. When he came in I thought he was a very disheveled GSD puppy. They knew it would take forever to find him a good home (he had several behaviors that scared people away; screaming, weird vocalizations, chasing his hind feet/tail, and growling while chewing on his foot). Basically it was, "You like him, here take him far, far away!". They still love updates on him and I ever so often bring him in so they can gush over his cuteness.

He is the "white whale" for several trainers. This is the first dog I've actually had to take to a trainer for basic obedience. When I got him in March of this year (it was estimated he was born in October 2013) and he had no bit inhibition, oblivious as to how to interact with other dogs and no manners at all. He almost flunked puppy kindergarten at PetSmart and the other trainer almost through up his hands. No matter where the training was done (home, building, PetSmart), Kieber would.not.pay.attention. One trainer joked that if we put him in a sound proof cube he'd find something to distract himself with.

Fast forward to today, he no longer chews on me, has a so-so recall, knows off/down, knows "get in your crate" and sits (most of the time). Vet has also diagnosed him with OCD and he is, in his opinion, neurotic. Kieber was spinning in circles, with his foot in his mouth, growling and almost spun himself off the exam table.


Some pics of the cute hell hound:
When I first got him:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13608977323/

A little older. Chewing on his foot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14443890401/

These are more recent.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15669280176/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15265635540/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15449242381/

Some people have guessed: Chi, Min Pin, Dachshund, Rat Terrier, and Corgi

Arztwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
techie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In mid Willamette valley in Oregon
Posts: 10,601

Rep: 39 techie is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 19
Default

The best way to find out is a DNA test. Welcome to Dog Forum too! You have quite a challenge there too. Maybe you could PM CurlySue about her Gremlin. She has had a lot of trouble with her dog too.
techie
__________________
I HAVE BEEN KISSED!! by sheplovr
Dogs rule!
"I've got the do: you?"
A dog's love is pure!
Lucy 1999 - Oct.6,2012.
Al
ways in my heart.
Now owned by a female beagle, Rascal


techie is offline techie's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: 10 Arztwolf is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
The best way to find out is a DNA test. Welcome to Dog Forum too! You have quite a challenge there too. Maybe you could PM CurlySue about her Gremlin. She has had a lot of trouble with her dog too.
techie
Thank you, I will.

Arztwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bigboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK: Stoke on trent
Posts: 13,349

Rep: 73 Bigboy will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arztwolf View Post
Thank you, I will.
I will add though Curly Sue's dog is not a rescue like your dog but it will be interesting to hear what she has to say. Also we do have trainers on board who will advise you
__________________
" Iam chillin with the forum! "

Thanks Monkey! I been fleeced Thanks Skunkstripe. Dave

ATB!

Bigboy is offline Bigboy's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Ama
Senior Member
 
Ama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,696

Rep: 37 Ama is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 12
Default

He could be a mix of all those breeds people have guessed! I'm not sure to be honest. You could go with the DNA test, I just did one for my dog recently and it was pretty accurate(I think, since it listed what most people guessed she was as what she was-and they didn't even see a picture of her!)

As for the behavior problems and such, there are a few *awesome* dog trainers on here who can maybe give you some advice? Be patient with him though, he's still young and I'm sure he'll become a great well behaved/adjusted dog-but it will take time and a lot of work. But you guys can do it!

I just have a question-How much exercise does he get daily? Do you do anything with him to challenge his mind(puzzles or exercises that make him have to think?). I know some working breeds will become neurotic if they aren't getting enough exercise or mental stimulation.

Ama is offline Ama's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: 10 Arztwolf is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama View Post
He could be a mix of all those breeds people have guessed! I'm not sure to be honest. You could go with the DNA test, I just did one for my dog recently and it was pretty accurate(I think, since it listed what most people guessed she was as what she was-and they didn't even see a picture of her!)

As for the behavior problems and such, there are a few *awesome* dog trainers on here who can maybe give you some advice? Be patient with him though, he's still young and I'm sure he'll become a great well behaved/adjusted dog-but it will take time and a lot of work. But you guys can do it!

I just have a question-How much exercise does he get daily? Do you do anything with him to challenge his mind(puzzles or exercises that make him have to think?). I know some working breeds will become neurotic if they aren't getting enough exercise or mental stimulation.
1-2 hours of running/playing with Deputy and my parent's dogs in a 3 acre pasture. (I walk the perimeter and they run/walk/jog/play with each other while I walk). If he's in the mood, I'll through a toy.
I play multiple games of tug/fetch with him in the house. He hates "puzzle" toys and will destroy them if he can't solve them in 2 seconds. He has destroyed multiple Kongs (small to large) and ignores other ones.
I want to get him into agility, but he doesn't seem to have the attention span. I know he is smart, buts its like getting a child with a genius IQ and ADD/ADHD to sit and do a jigsaw puzzle.

Arztwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bigboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK: Stoke on trent
Posts: 13,349

Rep: 73 Bigboy will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 38
Default

He is still young so plenty of time for agility As for short attention span problems you could try some training with him that requires longer attention spans like a simple say and you walk away from him continue with the word stay this must be done gradually over a period of time. you may only get a few feet away to start with then call him to you and when he comes to you praise him loads and offer a tasty treat each and every time this is completed then a assocation will bulid up in his head eventually you should be able to do 50 feet
which means his attention span will have greatly increased! Don't expect it happen over night due to his past, so plenty of patience is the order of the day and good luck
__________________
" Iam chillin with the forum! "

Thanks Monkey! I been fleeced Thanks Skunkstripe. Dave

ATB!

Bigboy is offline Bigboy's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Ama
Senior Member
 
Ama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,696

Rep: 37 Ama is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 12
Default

You can work on doing exercises that will get him to focus on you. Start with a short period of time(even if it's only a couple of seconds) and build up on that-with time you'll be able to increase the time he is able to focus on you. You might have to think outside the box with training him/giving him mental stimulation.

Here's one video for building attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTSuPk2Ccjo

I also wanted to mention-If you're going to do stay exercises, you need to go back to him to reward him and not call him to you(because if you do that you're rewarding him for coming to you, not for staying).

Hopefully one of the trainers on here will be able to give you advice/suggestions on what you can do!

Last edited by Ama; 12-16-2014 at 06:23 PM..

Ama is offline Ama's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15

Rep: 10 Arztwolf is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama View Post
You can work on doing exercises that will get him to focus on you. Start with a short period of time(even if it's only a couple of seconds) and build up on that-with time you'll be able to increase the time he is able to focus on you. You might have to think outside the box with training him/giving him mental stimulation.

Here's one video for building attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTSuPk2Ccjo

I also wanted to mention-If you're going to do stay exercises, you need to go back to him to reward him and not call him to you(because if you do that you're rewarding him for coming to you, not for staying).

Hopefully one of the trainers on here will be able to give you advice/suggestions on what you can do!
Thanks, that video helped!

I have to "think outside the box" just to live with him.
There is a reason his water and food bowls will be tapped to the wall. "Screech, scratch, screech", after 30 minutes is a bit much. This occurs AFTER got done running/playing for 2 HOURS.

He is honestly the hardest dog I've trained/helped train, of course I'm used to GSD mixes, Pit Bull mixes and Lab mixes.

Arztwolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.