DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Breeds > General Dog Breed Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,806

Rep: 135 Jake2006 will become famous soon enoughJake2006 will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 64
Default Rare Vulnerable Native Breeds

I missed this when it was on Countryfile some time ago. I found it on Youtube and its very interesting for anyone who is interested.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NfukzU...eature=related

Jake2006 is offline Jake2006's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Chaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,968

Rep: 46 Chaz is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 20
Default

Poor dogs.
__________________
thanks for the sigpic Fede.
Don't blame the wrong end of the lead.
''I'm chillin' with the forum! ''

I've been fleeced by sheplovr


Owned by Honey and Diesel the hounds. Saffy the mini beast. Karma and Tinsel the cats. Drew and Harley the rabbits. Misty and Myth the Chinchillas. And Sunshine, Sawyer, Sailor and Swift the fish!

Chaz is offline Chaz's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
boxerpups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 741

Rep: 39 boxerpups is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Poor dogs.
Why poor dogs Chaz... do you mean because they are on the vulnerable list. you have to remember that some , not all are on there for a reason, take the Otter hound ,they are just not suitable for family pets.


And as they said on there, they do not want the population to be flooded with puppies.

But in saying that... we must as a Country do our bit to ensure no of these breeds fall into extinction.

That is one of the reasons for my passion for the IWS.. which will probably be my next dog... either that or the Irish red and white setter.. now their is a success story.

Thy have made a good comeback from almost extinction..

About 5 yrs ago while at a show, I saw my first red and white..

Was talking to a lady of mature yrs,, who was instrumental in bringing the red and white to the UK from Ireland... had a fabolous history lesson on the breed... at that time their where only a handful in the country..but nowadays you will se ea good number of entries at shows..

They are lovely dogs.


Carol... the lady talking about the IWS ..do you know her... she is from my part of the woods.. Staffordshire.. I met her at DD last yr at Crufts... she breeds and works her dog.. had a lovely time talking to her...

I think we all need to support our breeds , and hopefully in the not to distant future, I willl be able too.

Thanks for the link Carol...
__________________
Jackie, Millie & Bandit

"I've got the do you?" thanks sheplovr
.............................................

IF YOU WANT THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE....MOVE THE DOG!!!

boxerpups is offline boxerpups's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,806

Rep: 135 Jake2006 will become famous soon enoughJake2006 will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 64
Default

Hi Jackie

Bentley is actually from the USA and he is owned by Kirkmarsh
http://kirkmarsh.co.uk/kirksub/bentley.htm

Kirkmarsh owned Morgan (Jake's Dad)

I do know the members from the SIWC. Louise is looking for a home for this dog -
Young male IWS needs a new home. (posted 13 December 2008)

There is a young male (18 months) who needs a new home. He only has one ear as his mum bit the other one when he was born. The hair hangs down so it is not really noticeable but he is a little noise sensitive.

He is described as very good natured but he is also very lively and therefore needs someone with some experience of dogs, although previous experience with IWS is not required.

If you are interested in giving this young lad a loving new home please contact The Secretary, Louise Bailey:

Any chance that you'd be interested?

Jake2006 is offline Jake2006's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,968

Rep: 46 Chaz is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerpups View Post
Why poor dogs Chaz... do you mean because they are on the vulnerable list. you have to remember that some , not all are on there for a reason, take the Otter hound ,they are just not suitable for family pets.


And as they said on there, they do not want the population to be flooded with puppies.

But in saying that... we must as a Country do our bit to ensure no of these breeds fall into extinction.

That is one of the reasons for my passion for the IWS.. which will probably be my next dog... either that or the Irish red and white setter.. now their is a success story.

Thy have made a good comeback from almost extinction..

About 5 yrs ago while at a show, I saw my first red and white..

Was talking to a lady of mature yrs,, who was instrumental in bringing the red and white to the UK from Ireland... had a fabolous history lesson on the breed... at that time their where only a handful in the country..but nowadays you will se ea good number of entries at shows..

They are lovely dogs.


Carol... the lady talking about the IWS ..do you know her... she is from my part of the woods.. Staffordshire.. I met her at DD last yr at Crufts... she breeds and works her dog.. had a lovely time talking to her...

I think we all need to support our breeds , and hopefully in the not to distant future, I willl be able too.

Thanks for the link Carol...
I meant poor dogs as the fact that they are facing extinction as we are not working them anymore so people don't want them, and the fact that many dogs now can have some severe health problems, and some breeders will still be bad and breed from them, when there is all them dogs there that are struggling, I wouldn't get a Red and white Irish setter, I think that they are too much for me, I would like a field Spaniel, but I don't know if they are on the video, I looked after one at work who was a total pain, but I know that they are not all like her, and I met a different one today who was lovely, I wouldn't want a dandie dinmont either I think that they have fog horns, and I don't like dogs like that lol. I would like a rare breed though, just to help them, and I would much rather have one of them, then some of the cross breeds that some poeple are paying mega bucks for, but I do have cross breeds myself, but they cost no where as near as them other dogs, but I don't think that it would do any dog any good to become popular, as that is when the problems really begin.
__________________
thanks for the sigpic Fede.
Don't blame the wrong end of the lead.
''I'm chillin' with the forum! ''

I've been fleeced by sheplovr


Owned by Honey and Diesel the hounds. Saffy the mini beast. Karma and Tinsel the cats. Drew and Harley the rabbits. Misty and Myth the Chinchillas. And Sunshine, Sawyer, Sailor and Swift the fish!

Chaz is offline Chaz's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
boxerpups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 741

Rep: 39 boxerpups is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake2006 View Post
Hi Jackie

Bentley is actually from the USA and he is owned by Kirkmarsh
http://kirkmarsh.co.uk/kirksub/bentley.htm

Kirkmarsh owned Morgan (Jake's Dad)

I do know the members from the SIWC. Louise is looking for a home for this dog -
Young male IWS needs a new home. (posted 13 December 2008)

There is a young male (18 months) who needs a new home. He only has one ear as his mum bit the other one when he was born. The hair hangs down so it is not really noticeable but he is a little noise sensitive.

He is described as very good natured but he is also very lively and therefore needs someone with some experience of dogs, although previous experience with IWS is not required.

If you are interested in giving this young lad a loving new home please contact The Secretary, Louise Bailey:

Any chance that you'd be interested?
Carol I would jump in m in heartbeat , if it was possible..but sadly it is not.

I cant run the risk of bring another dog into my home..Millie would simply not allow it... and I wont take the risk..so as much as I would I cant.


I know someone else who might of taken him, but again she has just had a liter of Vizsla, and has ended up keeping two of the pups... (current climate) she know has 9 dogs..so her hubby would leave home if she took another in... she also loves the breed.
__________________
Jackie, Millie & Bandit

"I've got the do you?" thanks sheplovr
.............................................

IF YOU WANT THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE....MOVE THE DOG!!!

boxerpups is offline boxerpups's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
boxerpups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 741

Rep: 39 boxerpups is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
I meant poor dogs as the fact that they are facing extinction as we are not working them anymore so people don't want them, and the fact that many dogs now can have some severe health problems, and some breeders will still be bad and breed from them, when there is all them dogs there that are struggling, I wouldn't get a Red and white Irish setter, I think that they are too much for me, I would like a field Spaniel, but I don't know if they are on the video, I looked after one at work who was a total pain, but I know that they are not all like her, and I met a different one today who was lovely, I wouldn't want a dandie dinmont either I think that they have fog horns, and I don't like dogs like that lol. I would like a rare breed though, just to help them, and I would much rather have one of them, then some of the cross breeds that some poeple are paying mega bucks for, but I do have cross breeds myself, but they cost no where as near as them other dogs, but I don't think that it would do any dog any good to become popular, as that is when the problems really begin.
That is very true.. you have to have balance, the last thing you need is to over populate these breeds.

For a few of the breeds it will be because they are no longer suitable, but the real fact of the matter why they are on the vulnerable list is because we now have so many imported breeds.. the world has opened up..a new breed comes in, everyone wants one...so many other breeds from far a field are taking over popularity.. and sadly our less known breeds are falling by the wayside...

I think it is a double edged sword... we need to promote them , but not allow them to be over populated.
__________________
Jackie, Millie & Bandit

"I've got the do you?" thanks sheplovr
.............................................

IF YOU WANT THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE....MOVE THE DOG!!!

boxerpups is offline boxerpups's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Chaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,968

Rep: 46 Chaz is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerpups View Post
That is very true.. you have to have balance, the last thing you need is to over populate these breeds.

For a few of the breeds it will be because they are no longer suitable, but the real fact of the matter why they are on the vulnerable list is because we now have so many imported breeds.. the world has opened up..a new breed comes in, everyone wants one...so many other breeds from far a field are taking over popularity.. and sadly our less known breeds are falling by the wayside...

I think it is a double edged sword... we need to promote them , but not allow them to be over populated.
I think that its to do with people having to compete with each other to, to have the better more 'in' dog, they don't really see the dog for a dog, they see it as how good it will make them look, status symbols, I love English dogs, and British dogs and would want them, but I do admit the Germans breed some very fine dogs and I like the German dogs to, but I think that all my future dogs will either be crosses, English or German lol.
__________________
thanks for the sigpic Fede.
Don't blame the wrong end of the lead.
''I'm chillin' with the forum! ''

I've been fleeced by sheplovr


Owned by Honey and Diesel the hounds. Saffy the mini beast. Karma and Tinsel the cats. Drew and Harley the rabbits. Misty and Myth the Chinchillas. And Sunshine, Sawyer, Sailor and Swift the fish!

Chaz is offline Chaz's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
paigeolivia.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 400

Rep: 18 paigeolivia. is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake2006 View Post
Hi Jackie

Bentley is actually from the USA and he is owned by Kirkmarsh
http://kirkmarsh.co.uk/kirksub/bentley.htm

Kirkmarsh owned Morgan (Jake's Dad)

I do know the members from the SIWC. Louise is looking for a home for this dog -
Young male IWS needs a new home. (posted 13 December 2008)

There is a young male (18 months) who needs a new home. He only has one ear as his mum bit the other one when he was born. The hair hangs down so it is not really noticeable but he is a little noise sensitive.

He is described as very good natured but he is also very lively and therefore needs someone with some experience of dogs, although previous experience with IWS is not required.

If you are interested in giving this young lad a loving new home please contact The Secretary, Louise Bailey:

Any chance that you'd be interested?
Id be interested, but im not sure what my family would say at all. Ill contact Ms/Mrs Bailey, and collate some information on his temperament, and i'll ask about giving him a new home.

__________________

- And this is where some sort of meaningful quote goes.

I've got the do you?

"I'm chillin' with the forum! "

Thanks Shep

paigeolivia. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
boxerpups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 741

Rep: 39 boxerpups is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeolivia. View Post
Id be interested, but im not sure what my family would say at all. Ill contact Ms/Mrs Bailey, and collate some information on his temperament, and i'll ask about giving him a new home.

Awww thats fabulous news... keep us posted!!
__________________
Jackie, Millie & Bandit

"I've got the do you?" thanks sheplovr
.............................................

IF YOU WANT THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE....MOVE THE DOG!!!

boxerpups is offline boxerpups's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.