DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community

DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community (http://www.dogforum.net/)
-   Dog Pictures (http://www.dogforum.net/dog-pictures/)
-   -   Mr. Buddylee's Ramp Training (http://www.dogforum.net/dog-pictures/35746-mr-buddylees-ramp-training.html)

JayBee 09-13-2012 05:50 PM

Mr. Buddylee's Ramp Training
 
Mr. Buddylee's ramp should come out of storage before my back goes out. Last week my timing was off so our 48 pounder had an emergency refresher course in ramp training. The ramp has been used in the past and the Happy Hound didn't need a refresher course. It's a lot easier getting him in the van up an inclined plane than me bending at the knees and reaching under his body. We were off to Dorset, Vermont for the weekend and next week's blog entry will include some of the images.

http://www.whereisbuddylee.com/wp-co...dylee-ramp.gif

JGLI 09-13-2012 06:04 PM

I have the same ramp for Chessie. I purchased it for her after her THR thinking it would be much easier for her to get in and out of the car. I loved that it was so stable and telescoping. She...hated it :-( so my back empathizes with you! I donated it to the the rehab department of her vet center and hopefully they are using it with a more willing candidate.

JayBee 09-13-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGLI (Post 384214)
I have the same ramp for Chessie. I purchased it for her after her THR thinking it would be much easier for her to get in and out of the car. I loved that it was so stable and telescoping. She...hated it :-( so my back empathizes with you! I donated it to the the rehab department of her vet center and hopefully they are using it with a more willing candidate.

I don't really like the sandpaper surface. I think rubber would be much better and I would like it to be 3 sections, the same length.

JGLI 09-13-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee (Post 384216)
I don't really like the sandpaper surface. I think rubber would be much better and I would like it to be 3 sections, the same length.

I need to look closer at your picture, Chessie's looks identical, however, it has a carpeted surface--indoor/outdoor type that I thought would be great for traction in rain and snow...but apparently it didn't matter what I thought! :D

Kenzie'sMom 09-13-2012 06:51 PM

I used one similiar for MacKenzie - training him to use it was 'challenging'...:D

Picking him up was not an option - his weight and my arm strength were very much at odds. I also quit picking him up when he was only a few months old so he wasn't used to it and would have put up an unholy fight if I had of tried. In hindsight, I should have gotten him used to being picked up, if not by me then by someone else.

Mine folds in half and has the sandpaper surface. I didn't like it too much to start with until I thought things through a bit...rubber would add more weight and I think carpeting would suck up moisture if you had to use it with either a wet dog or in wet weather.

I need to put it up for sale on Kijiji so that it's sold locally cause shipping charges would kill anyone. Anyone north of Barrie in Ontario need one??

DeeLind7 09-13-2012 08:10 PM

Mr Buddylee looks like he has no problem with his ramp. It's actualy a very nice looking one too. Kenzie'sMom, I wish you lived closer. I'd buy it for Casey.

MrJohn 09-13-2012 11:16 PM

I'm sure glad Sadie doesn't have any trouble jumping into the car.
I do notice that whatever he get on at the end of the ramp is about the same height as the door sill on the van and he has no trouble getting on it.
Are you sure you need the ramp?

JayBee 09-14-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJohn (Post 384241)
I'm sure glad Sadie doesn't have any trouble jumping into the car.
I do notice that whatever he get on at the end of the ramp is about the same height as the door sill on the van and he has no trouble getting on it.
Are you sure you need the ramp?

The bottom of the van door (which is one step up from the ground)to the top of the bench seat is a huge distance for Mr. B. His back would be stretched too much.

Kenzie'sMom 09-14-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee (Post 384249)
The bottom of the van door (which is one step up from the ground)to the top of the bench seat is a huge distance for Mr. B. His back would be stretched too much.


That and the jump from the ground to the van floor is difficult because there's an immediate obstacle of the seat in the way. Getting from the top of the ramp onto the seat is a couple of inches shorter in height but it's also easier because there's nothing to bump head on at the end of the leap.

I have a Safari van with 2 three person seats in the rear. I ended taking out the middle seat so that when MacKenzie walked up the ramp he had lots of room to get in the van and then get on the seat.

Bonus was that it made stowing shopping and stuff like Mom's walker ever soooo much easier. MacKenzie got to ride like Miss Daisy in the far back...:D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Copyright 2006-2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.