DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community

DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community (http://www.dogforum.net/)
-   Dog Healthcare (http://www.dogforum.net/dog-healthcare/)
-   -   Treating Diarrhea (http://www.dogforum.net/dog-healthcare/24117-treating-diarrhea.html)

Pauline46 02-03-2009 01:01 PM

Treating Diarrhea
 
Hi there........I have been reading that giving pumpkin helps with diarrhea, but when I spoke with my vet's assistant she said they recommend it for constipation and that it would soften the stool... I had been giving my girl pumpkin for her diarrhea and it hasn't improved so now I will stop feeding her for the day and start with rice and chicken next meal I give her. Why do some of you give pumpkin for diarrhea? Who is right here? LOL

Melamaphine 02-03-2009 01:06 PM

Hi Pauline

With my rough, the best thing is scrambled eggs or chicken and boiled rice.

I found that she has a particularly sensitive tum, I've heard it's a breed thing.

I started giving her Slippery Elm supplement when she had a long bout of suspected colitis/chronic diaorrhea and it seemed to do the trick. It boosts the production of protective mucous in the intestines so don't be surprised if you get a lot of white slime in the poo when you start giving it, I find that if I give it to Simba at the onset of tummy troubles she gets better much quicker.

skunkstripe 02-03-2009 01:25 PM

Guess what? Canned unspiced pumpkin is supposedly good for both!
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

War 02-03-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauline46 (Post 272174)
Hi there........I have been reading that giving pumpkin helps with diarrhea, but when I spoke with my vet's assistant she said they recommend it for constipation and that it would soften the stool... I had been giving my girl pumpkin for her diarrhea and it hasn't improved so now I will stop feeding her for the day and start with rice and chicken next meal I give her. Why do some of you give pumpkin for diarrhea? Who is right here? LOL


Canned pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling but the 100% natural canned pumpkin) can work wonders for both the occasional bout of diarrhea or for the opposite, constipation in dogs.

Weird that the same product can cure BOTH!

here an article about that:


http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

Borzoi mad 02-03-2009 01:34 PM

Natural Yogurt can also help with diarrhea

Pauline46 02-03-2009 01:48 PM

Thanks for all your responses. I have given her slippery Elm and tomorrow I shall try the chicken and rice. Interesting about the pumpkin though. Yes, I give the pure pumpkin not the pie stuff.

Pauline46 02-03-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War (Post 272196)
Canned pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling but the 100% natural canned pumpkin) can work wonders for both the occasional bout of diarrhea or for the opposite, constipation in dogs.

Weird that the same product can cure BOTH!

here an article about that:


http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

thanks for the article war!

Pauline46 02-03-2009 01:54 PM

Thanks skunkstripe!

sheplovr 02-03-2009 02:56 PM

Hi Pauline, I give it because it works on my dogs. If diaherra I give a tbsp a day usually one day fixes it. None of mine bind up, so I use it for looseness. Also, a tbsp of pepto to sooth the stomach. Hope the dog is ok now, nice to see you back here. Take care.:)

War 02-04-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skunkstripe (Post 272192)
Guess what? Canned unspiced pumpkin is supposedly good for both!
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

Haha I see we surf the same sites:p


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Copyright 2006-2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.