DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Blogs Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Discussions > Dog Healthcare

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 406

Rep: 35 Harry is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 12
Default Pine Sap...Toxic or Friend?

Hello all!!

Firstly, deepest apologies to everyone for my being away from the forum for far too long ..... I was getting so addicted to this fab site that I had to ban myself from the forum to give my full attention to starting a new business!

Anyway ....

Nala, our now 8 month old girl, has managed to get pine tree sap on her tummy, which we eventually traced to our balcony decking which is seeping due to recent high temperatures.

I was alerted to the problem as I noticed she seemed to be washing her tummy for far too long. I cut most of the affected fur away and have used olive oil to get rid of the rest.

So, my question - the fact that she was licking it so long, should I be concerned about the amount she has ingested?

Research on the net is confusing - most of my searches came back with Christmas Holiday advice saying "don't let your dog drink the Christmas tree water as pine tree sap mixed with water is toxic" yet it doesn't say how toxic, what you should do etc.

Another (single) site, has suggested using it as a small wound sealer as a cheap alternative to surgical glue! which surely if used, the dog would lick, which in turn would suggest it isn't toxic?!

I know some of you guys live in forest areas .... anyone have any knowledge of this?

I keep activated charcoal in the cupboard for such emergencies so can always give her some of this to clear toxins out if you guys think necessary?

Many thanks in advance!

Michelle, Harry and Nala

Harry is offline Harry's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 13,352

Rep: 315 KatzNK9 is a jewel in the roughKatzNK9 is a jewel in the roughKatzNK9 is a jewel in the roughKatzNK9 is a jewel in the rough
Unique Rep: 88
Default

I'm sorry I can't help you with any info. I will look forward to seeing responses from others who have ideas on the subject. If nobody shows up soon with a good answer, I'd give a quick call to the vet.

Sometime when you're not so busy, please update us on your new business & let us know how things are going for you. Good luck with it!

I do hope it won't be so long until the next time you'll be able to stop by.
__________________
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I've been sprung, scorched, boo'd, hugged, sniffed, admired, gobbled, frosted & HoHoHo'd.

KatzNK9 is offline KatzNK9's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,521

Rep: 304 Doberman's is a jewel in the roughDoberman's is a jewel in the roughDoberman's is a jewel in the roughDoberman's is a jewel in the rough
Unique Rep: 70
Default

Pine sap is not toxic however it is hard to remove. People use to chew on it like you would chewing gum... I can't imagine it tasted good and I am NOT willing to try it to find out. LOL!

To remove it take some canola oil or whatever kind of cooking oil you have available, massage it into the sap until it is softened enough to gentle pull it out. Keep working at it until all the sap is gone. Then give your dog a good bath using a gentle oatmeal shampoo or any gentle shampoo you may have available.

BTW just in case you have no salad type oil you can use peanut butter but I fear the dog wil try to eat it before you get it to work. LMAO!

Doberman's is offline Doberman's's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 406

Rep: 35 Harry is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 12
Default

Hiya both, many thanks for your quick replies!

She does seem to have a tummy upset of some sort as she has refused her beef rib dinner which is unknown in "Nala history" as she literally lives for food

This has all coincided with her stealing 2/3rds of a pack of chocolate coated jaffa cakes, which might not be helping matters....she is the keenest food thief I have ever met, we have even caught her on the kitchen counter, with her front paws on the kettle so she could reach inside a cupboard!!

She's also been in the garden eating grass which I know cats do when they have a tummy upset, yet Nala eats grass regularly so not sure whether this is an indicator or not. I've tried giving her the charcoal but she's managing to side step that one for now

I shall be keeping an extremely close eye on her tonight you can be sure of that! She has become the sweetest, cuddliest, craziest furry friend I have ever had the pleasure of and we love her to bits

Many thanks
M, H & N

Harry is offline Harry's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,918

Rep: 84 Sabledog will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 38
Default

Butter works as well... NOT margarine, but real butter, my cousing got it all in his hair one time, and my aunt coated his hair in butter, it came out fairly easy.
__________________


Sabledog is offline Sabledog's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 406

Rep: 35 Harry is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 12
Default

Thanks everyone!

She was back to normal this morning, wolfing down her breakfast as usual

I actually used olive oil to get the sap off her fur and it worked really well - I had also read peanut butter and normal butter worked wonders too, alas none in the cupboard!

Good to know for future that it's not toxic too

Cheers!
M, H & N

Harry is offline Harry's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
All American Dog Lover
 
skunkstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England USA
Posts: 20,995
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: 359 skunkstripe is just really niceskunkstripe is just really niceskunkstripe is just really niceskunkstripe is just really nice
Unique Rep: 142
Default

Hi Harry,
Glad to hear your little scamp is back to normal!
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.
Thanks Fede for the sigpic!

I've been fleeced by Draco!

skunkstripe is offline skunkstripe's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,100

Rep: 59 xcolbi will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 28
Default

Glad to hear Nala is feeling better again! (And good to know that sap isn't toxic!)
__________________
SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS.

xcolbi is offline xcolbi's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2010 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.