DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Discussions > Dog General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
Forum Director
 
JGLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,458

Rep: 96 JGLI will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 50
Default On 'faking it'- the misuse of emotional support animals (article)

How to Take Your Pet Everywhere

This is an entertaining and worthwhile article that appeared in the New Yorker that takes a look at the abuses of the use of 'emotional support animals' At the expense of true service animals.
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.

JGLI is offline JGLI's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,499

Rep: 56 DeeLind7 will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 29
Default

This article was entertaining, to say the least. It is a shame that people cheat the system, but I see advertisements on Facebook all the time, for purchasing "service animal" shirts and jackets. If you have the money, you can have a certificate.

DeeLind7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Kyllobernese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,936

Rep: 23 Kyllobernese is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

In our small Mall, there is a sign on the door saying only Seeing-Eye dogs allowed. I have never seen a Service Dog anywhere and wonder if they would bar one. In fact I have never seen a Seeing-Eye dog either or heard of any. The one blind person I know of, uses a cane. But it does make me wonder if the sign is legal.

Kyllobernese is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Dunbar's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,736

Rep: 50 Dunbar's Mom will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLind7 View Post
This article was entertaining, to say the least. It is a shame that people cheat the system, but I see advertisements on Facebook all the time, for purchasing "service animal" shirts and jackets. If you have the money, you can have a certificate.
Same here.
__________________

Dunbar's Mom is offline Dunbar's Mom's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
techie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In mid Willamette valley in Oregon
Posts: 10,586

Rep: 39 techie is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 19
Default

I agree with Dee. People will always abuse any system and make it harder for those who really need service animals
techie
__________________
I HAVE BEEN KISSED!! by sheplovr
Dogs rule!
"I've got the do: you?"
A dog's love is pure!
Lucy 1999 - Oct.6,2012.
Al
ways in my heart.
Now owned by a female beagle, Rascal


techie is offline techie's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Massapequa
Posts: 9,812

Rep: 131 Monkey will become famous soon enoughMonkey will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 65
Default

Actually, the article is a tad wrong.. ESA can go on trains and buses in NY at least.. not sure about the rest of the country.. HOWEVER, they do not have access to any other venues but the housing...

And they have to be accompanied by the letter as well... When I have worked with service dogs I have been asked to produce the letter despite the dog has been service dog marked, so God knows people are not educated.

Last year I was working with a woman who is legally blind, and to the point where she can see forms and shapes, her dog needed a tune up, so I was taking him on buses, he's a big black lab/hound mix. Bus driver stopped, saw the dog and took off... The problems are going both ways...

1. people who are abusing it but 2. people who also is not respecting the need for them...

I started a non profit with a friend pets for heroes, where we will be training companion dogs (once we get more money in and can bump up the insurance it will be service dogs), but the companion dogs will still be able to battle PTSD on home front and when just out in regular public for now (no public access training until insurance level is up), but I know once we do the service dog part.. It will be a night mare.. here are people with PTSD and random people will be treating them like yesterdays left over because of the frauds out there... And when you have an anxiety disorder already, to have to battle that can be really bad too.. Which is something we will have to alter discussing with each persons therapist to ensure they can also handle those so they don't add extra stress.. but that we even have to think about that and plan ahead is ludicrous!

I signed the petition for the official registration.. but not until they get tremendous issues with it will they do something...
__________________
I love dogs cause they do not lie.

"I'm chillin' with the forum!

"I've been fleeced by Draco!"
"I've been fleeced by JGLI"

Monkey is offline Monkey's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
techie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In mid Willamette valley in Oregon
Posts: 10,586

Rep: 39 techie is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 19
Default

Thanks for replying Monkey. Good to 'see' you too!
techie
__________________
I HAVE BEEN KISSED!! by sheplovr
Dogs rule!
"I've got the do: you?"
A dog's love is pure!
Lucy 1999 - Oct.6,2012.
Al
ways in my heart.
Now owned by a female beagle, Rascal


techie is offline techie's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
Forum Director
 
JGLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,458

Rep: 96 JGLI will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Actually, the article is a tad wrong.. ESA can go on trains and buses in NY at least.. not sure about the rest of the country.. HOWEVER, they do not have access to any other venues but the housing...

And they have to be accompanied by the letter as well... When I have worked with service dogs I have been asked to produce the letter despite the dog has been service dog marked, so God knows people are not educated.

Last year I was working with a woman who is legally blind, and to the point where she can see forms and shapes, her dog needed a tune up, so I was taking him on buses, he's a big black lab/hound mix. Bus driver stopped, saw the dog and took off... The problems are going both ways...

1. people who are abusing it but 2. people who also is not respecting the need for them...

I started a non profit with a friend pets for heroes, where we will be training companion dogs (once we get more money in and can bump up the insurance it will be service dogs), but the companion dogs will still be able to battle PTSD on home front and when just out in regular public for now (no public access training until insurance level is up), but I know once we do the service dog part.. It will be a night mare.. here are people with PTSD and random people will be treating them like yesterdays left over because of the frauds out there... And when you have an anxiety disorder already, to have to battle that can be really bad too.. Which is something we will have to alter discussing with each persons therapist to ensure they can also handle those so they don't add extra stress.. but that we even have to think about that and plan ahead is ludicrous!

I signed the petition for the official registration.. but not until they get tremendous issues with it will they do something...
I don't believe the article is incorrect as it is an illustration of how easy it is for disingenuous people to take advantage of the public's ignorance of existing provisions of the ADA and to attempt to extend those provisions to non-qualified persons and animals. The laws governing the access of service dogs and emotional assistance dogs are quite different. The link below may help you understand the differences and the seriousness of their impact. Unfortunately the law is weak regarding the training of service dogs. As it currently stands, an owner may train their own dog, anyone who calls himself a trainer, or anyone who considers themselves "good with dogs" may legally, if not ethically undertake training tasks for the dog when such training is best undertaken by competent professionals well-versed in the nature and needs of a specific disabling condition:
"U.S. federal law recognizes an animal as a service animal once it is trained to perform tasks that mitigate the disability of a disabled owner, without regard for how that animal got trained. It is therefore possible to train a service dog without a license. However, in some states only licensed trainers from recognized programs are afforded the same public access rights as people with disabilities with fully trained service dogs. Consult your state's Attorney General for information on whether private trainers have public access rights for training. If not, you may only train in facilities that have given you permission" (U.S. federal law recognizes an animal as a service animal once it is trained to perform tasks that mitigate the disability of a disabled owner, without regard for how that animal got trained. It is therefore possible to train a service dog without a license. However, in some states only licensed trainers from recognized programs are afforded the same public access rights as people with disabilities with fully trained service dogs. Consult your state's Attorney General for information on whether private trainers have public access rights for training. If not, you may only train in facilities that have given you permission. (Frequently Asked Questions - Training | Service Dog Central)

.https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet
MTA LIRR - Rules and Regulations
Dogs and PTSD - PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Psychiatric Service Dogs & Emotional Support Animals: Access to Public Places & Other Settings | Nolo.com
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...-settings.html
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.

JGLI is offline JGLI's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Massapequa
Posts: 9,812

Rep: 131 Monkey will become famous soon enoughMonkey will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 65
Default

Hmm I think they might have updated the rules without updating the site..

Because I have been asked about the ESA document on more than one occasion..

But no the illustration of how easy it is to fake it is def there...
hence I just sad a tad wrong..
__________________
I love dogs cause they do not lie.

"I'm chillin' with the forum!

"I've been fleeced by Draco!"
"I've been fleeced by JGLI"

Monkey is offline Monkey's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
Forum Director
 
JGLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,458

Rep: 96 JGLI will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Hmm I think they might have updated the rules without updating the site..

Because I have been asked about the ESA document on more than one occasion..

But no the illustration of how easy it is to fake it is def there...
hence I just sad a tad wrong..
Those using ESA animals DO need have documentation and be ready to provide it:
"Emotional support and psychiatric service animals – Individuals who travel with emotional support animals or psychiatric service animals may need to provide specific documentation to establish that they have a disability and the reason the animal must travel with them. Individuals who wish to travel with their emotional support or psychiatric animals should contact the airline ahead of time to find out what kind of documentation is required.
Examples of documentation that may be requested by the airline: Current documentation (not more than one year old) on letterhead from a licensed mental health professional stating (1) the passenger has a mental health-related disability listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV); (2) having the animal accompany the passenger is necessary to the passenger’s mental health or treatment; (3) the individual providing the assessment of the passenger is a licensed mental health professional and the passenger is under his or her professional care; and (4) the date and type of the mental health professional’s license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.16 This documentation may be required as a condition of permitting the animal to accompany the passenger in the cabin."
-- https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet
Users of service dogs do not:
"When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.--http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

And on a related note:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...g-service-dogs
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.

JGLI is offline JGLI's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2015 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.