DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Blogs Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Discussions > Dog General Discussion

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 01-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10

Rep: 10 TylerK454 is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default I need your advice on this SPCA dog.

So I went to the SPCA yesterday and met this dog that I really like. However she does have a few problems. Shes allergic to fleas so she has patches of hair. She currently has kennel cough. She had tendency to jump on me and my mom and push qnd her claws left a few marks on my arm and she seems to really pull on the leash.
Can any of this be fixed?

Shes a 10 month lab mix (she looks like she has pit in her but not sure). Shes everything that I wanted in a dog. Shes friendly with everyone and everything, loves to play fetch and just a real kisser. The only problems are the ones I listed above. What do you think? She weighs 48 pounds and the shelter says shes as big as shes going to get.

Petango.com

TylerK454 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
DeeLind7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Delaware, USA
Posts: 8,392

Rep: 56 DeeLind7 will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 29
Default

Tyler, the behavior issues can be fixed with proper training. The kennel cough can be fixed with medication. But, the flea allergy is a whole different ball game. My Collie's had flea allergies, and it's no easy feat keeping them at bay. One flea, and I mean only one flea, can send an alergic dog into a frenzy... chewing and ripping out fur. This is probably why the dog you are looking at has only patches of hair. It takes a lot of time and money, to keep the house and dog free of any fleas what so ever. Every day grooming, baths, vacuuming every single day, vet bills. I am not by any means, saying you should not adopt her. Just be aware of home much is envolved with keeping her flea free.

DeeLind7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Massapequa
Posts: 9,805
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: 131 Monkey will become famous soon enoughMonkey will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 65
Default

Also...
They call her a black cur mix here, but to me she looks like a pitmix.. so I agree with you on that one..
Might be part lab as well and or hound.. But she is def part pitbull, so make sure you can have pits around where you are...
__________________
I love dogs cause they do not lie.

"I'm chillin' with the forum!

"I've been fleeced by Draco!"
"I've been fleeced by JGLI"

Last edited by Monkey; 01-19-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Monkey is offline Monkey's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
techie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In mid Willamette valley in Oregon
Posts: 8,864
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: 34 techie is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 16
Default

Welcome to df Tyler! Just be aware of the problems before you adopt. Good luck come back again!
techie
__________________
I HAVE BEEN KISSED!! by sheplovr
Dogs rule!
"I've got the do: you?"
A dog's love is pure!
Lucy 1999 - Oct.6,2012.
Al
ways in my heart.
Now owned by a female beagle, Rascal


techie is offline techie's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10

Rep: 10 TylerK454 is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLind7 View Post
Tyler, the behavior issues can be fixed with proper training. The kennel cough can be fixed with medication. But, the flea allergy is a whole different ball game. My Collie's had flea allergies, and it's no easy feat keeping them at bay. One flea, and I mean only one flea, can send an alergic dog into a frenzy... chewing and ripping out fur. This is probably why the dog you are looking at has only patches of hair. It takes a lot of time and money, to keep the house and dog free of any fleas what so ever. Every day grooming, baths, vacuuming every single day, vet bills. I am not by any means, saying you should not adopt her. Just be aware of home much is envolved with keeping her flea free.
Can just being on flea prevention get rid of the problem?

TylerK454 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Massapequa
Posts: 9,805
Blog Entries: 23

Rep: 131 Monkey will become famous soon enoughMonkey will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 65
Default

Was she itchy when you met her?
All dogs have flea allergy, just like we do if we get bit..

If she was covered in fleas when she came in and had been for a while, she might have normal allergy hence, being on a preventative getting flea bites once in a while won't bother her..

BUT you have fleas that will bite despite the preventative and if she is super sensitive then you might end up needing vet care etc.. so depending on level of flea allergy ..
she would also have to be dewormed.. cause dogs that has had such severe flea infestation often have tape worm..

Flea allergy dermatitis (FAD) is the most common veterinary dermatologic condition in the world

Me personally would probably pick another dog unless you are prepared for the medical bills that may come with this..
__________________
I love dogs cause they do not lie.

"I'm chillin' with the forum!

"I've been fleeced by Draco!"
"I've been fleeced by JGLI"

Monkey is offline Monkey's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10

Rep: 10 TylerK454 is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Was she itchy when you met her?
All dogs have flea allergy, just like we do if we get bit..

If she was covered in fleas when she came in and had been for a while, she might have normal allergy hence, being on a preventative getting flea bites once in a while won't bother her..

BUT you have fleas that will bite despite the preventative and if she is super sensitive then you might end up needing vet care etc.. so depending on level of flea allergy ..
she would also have to be dewormed.. cause dogs that has had such severe flea infestation often have tape worm..

Flea allergy dermatitis (FAD) is the most common veterinary dermatologic condition in the world

Me personally would probably pick another dog unless you are prepared for the medical bills that may come with this..
No she was not itchy when I met her and I saw no visible fleas. The only thing she was biting was her sutras from her spaying. When I originally met her the vet tech didn't mention anything about a flea allergy but when I went back a different vet tech then told me about it. Do you suggest getting a third input?

TylerK454 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
techie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In mid Willamette valley in Oregon
Posts: 8,864
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: 34 techie is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 16
Default

Yes!
techie
__________________
I HAVE BEEN KISSED!! by sheplovr
Dogs rule!
"I've got the do: you?"
A dog's love is pure!
Lucy 1999 - Oct.6,2012.
Al
ways in my heart.
Now owned by a female beagle, Rascal


techie is offline techie's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bigboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK: Stoke on trent
Posts: 11,834

Rep: 66 Bigboy will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 35
Default

Tyler all these problems (medical and behavioural all can be fixed) 1. Do you have time to do all this? 2. Have you the funds to support this with out compromising your daily purchases? And Monkey is right are pit type breeds allowed where you live? if you happy with all 3 questions then prehaps go for it While 2 opinions are great a 3rd one won't do any harm!! Let us know what you decide to do!
__________________
" Iam chillin with the forum! "

Thanks Monkey! I been fleeced Thanks Skunkstripe. Dave

ATB!

Bigboy is offline Bigboy's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10

Rep: 10 TylerK454 is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
Tyler all these problems (medical and behavioural all can be fixed) 1. Do you have time to do all this? 2. Have you the funds to support this with out compromising your daily purchases? And Monkey is right are pit type breeds allowed where you live? if you happy with all 3 questions then prehaps go for it While 2 opinions are great a 3rd one won't do any harm!! Let us know what you decide to do!
Well I talked to the rescue on the yesterday and the person I talked with said that all I have to do is to keep her on trifexis and she will be perfectly fine. Her kennel cough and clearing up and the SPCA is offering free training classes for puppy adopters. So medical wise all I have to give her is a pill so I don't think it will take very much of my time. Training is going to be time consuming regardless. I don't think trifexis is that expensive so I don't think that would have any impact on my budget. I live in my own house so being a pit isn't a problem, but I talked to my vet and the shelter about this and they said that no where on her paperwork does it say that she is remotely pit bull since it is not her dominant breed so I do not think that is a problem.

TylerK454 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2010 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.