View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
borzoimom

Rep: 101 borzoimom will become famous soon enoughborzoimom will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 34
Default Co-ownership of dogs

Some people may not understand why a dog is co-owned. The purpose of a co-ownership does several things. Number one- it keeps the breeding of show dogs with all parties agreeing the breeding would be a good one- not only for the reputation of the dog, but also the litter to better the breed and be a good example of the parents of the puppy.
Second- co ownership also insures that the person can not sell the dog to someone without the breeders knowledge.( or at least not sold with papers) . Not only does this protect their breeding of that dog- such as being sold to a puppy mill etc, but also insures the dog will always be recorded as being theirs in the event something happens to the original owner.
One of my shepherds, the owner died. Without that co- ownership having the dog returned to me, I am not sure what would have happened to the dog as the estate was broken up. After all- I approved of their purchase of one of my pups, in their family situation. And that situation only. Shepherds are fabulous dogs in the right situations- in the wrong ones- they can be a handful.
Even a pup destined to be spayed or neutered at this point would still be co-owned. I have seen too many good situations turn terribly bad to not do it.
Co-ownership is also used to show that the pups owner is considered to be a person they want for the life of the dog, association with this person in potential of the dogs accomplishments.

borzoimom is offline borzoimom's Gallery