View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
TheDireStrait

Rep: 13 TheDireStrait is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 3

My girl's a Pit x Shep and looks a lot like yours, you could try Googling some images of them. Depending on where you live, it's more likely she's a Pitbull/Shepherd than a Boxer/Shepherd (pitbulls are much more common and have higher rates of abandonment and abuse sadly). It's possible Libby's a Lab mix but I don't see anything to suggest it personally. She's very slender and the fur looks (from the pictures) to be more - flecked, is that the word? - than a Lab's coat would ever be. And her head/face is definitely more of a pitbull/boxer/shepherd than a Lab. If she's Lab she definitely takes after the shepherd part!

As for her shyness, that's something which is hard to deal with. You say she growls at some one in your house? I really suggest then that they keep high value treats on them and drop them when you aren't around and the dog is calm. Eventually she'll learn that this person = something awesome and feel better in the house. Removing her from the bed when she growls concerns me a little bit... while she definitely shouldn't be allowed to growl, you could be just as easily be training her to just not give a warning and bite instead one day. It's vital that the core of the problem is addressed as soon as possible. All that being said, I'm a new dog owner so don't take everything I say as gospel and I highly suggest you keep working with that trainer!

Socializing sounds like it's a challenge so far. I think taking her to Home Depot is a bad idea - all the people, the strange and strong smells, the noise, all of that will be adding to her stress instead of making her feel more comfortable. I have an idea... what is your front yard like? Is it fenced in? Crazy shot in the dark, but if you do, try putting up a sign that says you're trying to get her used to people and have a little bag of dog treats strangers can feed her when they pass by. She'll be in a comfortable and safe place where she can retreat farther away if she feels overwhelmed, and at the same time build confidence and trust by approaching the human instead of the other way around.