View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
Kutoja

Rep: 10 Kutoja is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0

I actually don't know how dog-friendly the cats are. They do growl (Silky) and hiss (the girls) when they see dogs at the vet; however I'm not sure how much of that is because they don't like dogs, and how much is because they're in this scary, strange-smelling place outside of their own territory and have now been confronted with a big, hairy monster.

For what it's worth, I seriously suspect Silky might have been raised by a human and/or a dog (and not by his mother): he has no clue about feline etiquette and has an awful lot of doggy traits (he even plays fetch!)

I'm not a stranger to introducing one animal to another - I had to do it twice with the cats - and puppy-to-cat intros don't seem too different from cat-to-cat intros. We'll just take it as slowly as necessary.

I was actually already leaning in the direction of a papillon puppy, since they don't need (professional) grooming and their temperament sounds about right for us. The unintimidating size even when fully-grown also helps: I'm not sure I'd have the strength to hold a large dog back since I'm short (157 cm) and not in the best of shape. Plus there are several breeders in southern Finland!

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Kutoja