Thread: At my wits end
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
elizabeth.g

Rep: 10 elizabeth.g is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Unhappy Poor baby still in pain

Hi Bigboy and Kaos,

My girl's name is Shen and she is a Rottweiler Bernese Mt. dog mix. To answer your question Bigboy, I was given pain medication for Shen when I picked her up from surgery and I started those meds the first evening post op. The next day Shen was displaying behavior that indicated to me she was in a lot of pain...I continued the pain meds I was given, but they didn't really seem to help. I called the clinic that did the surgery and they gave me another med to give Shen in conjunction with the first medication...again, this has not seemed to make much of a difference for her.

I was at the local emergency animal clinic both yesterday and today. Yesterday the vet said continue the meds she was on and give her arnica (a homeopathic medicine). I kept pushing them for another med to give her (one that was stronger) but it was like they just weren't hearing me...I did what they told me to do (continue with old meds and add arnica) but this morning Shen was no different, plus, upon taking her out to pee, I noticed her urine looked really dark (like there was blood in it). So, back to the emergency clinic we went...after 4 hours of mostly waiting to be seen, Shen was looked over (a urine sample revealed blood in her urine). She was prescribed an antibiotic for a bladder infection and they told me to go to my regular vet as soon as I could to address why she is till having pain in her abdomen. She may need an ultrasound to determine what is actually going on...
I am worried that perhaps the vet at the low cost clinic was not that experienced and maybe did not do such a great job with the spay surgery...I've tried looking online to figure out what could possible be going on...but I really can't find any answers. I guess I will have to wait and see what my regular vet says...Shen is finally resting somewhat comfortably right now so at least that's something to be grateful for...this has been a rough week for the both of us.

Thanks for your support...it is much appreciated