View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
efcorwin

Rep: 10 efcorwin is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default Texas Heeler

I just adopted a 6 month old ACD mix that everyone thinks is a mix with either border collie or Aussie which would make her a Texas Heeler. I had never heard the term until I Googled "Australian Cattle dog, Border collie, Australian Shepherd" She is a blue merle with black rump spot, a bob tail (not sure it was docked or natural bob). She is confident but not hard or dominant like some ACD's and has a longer coat and a bit of a ruff around her neck like an Aussie. She is super smart and very biddable. I have had her out with my mini horses and goats and she is polite with them, although I'm sure she would chase them if they ran.

I have been doing agility for almost 10 years and one of my other agility dogs is also a TDI Therapy Dog. My dogs are all getting older and close to retirement so I expect Dazzle to be my next agility, therapy, and obedience/rally dog. I've had her one week and she is already doing sit, lie down, find your toy, and rollover. She is friendly with everyone and great around kids. She has a great recall, and good focus. Not really afraid of anything either. We go for her first agility puppy foundation lesson next week. She is 23 pounds now so I don't expect her to be more than 30 pounds when full grown--so on the small side which is exactly what I want.

I'm competing in an agility trial tomorrow and will see what every says who meets her.

I think she is going to be lots of fun.

Betsie Corwin
Oakdale, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy_Bee View Post
I recently got a "Texas heeler" puppy named Flash. He is a WONDERFUL little dog so far. I was wondering if anyone else here has one of these dogs and if so, how are their temperaments and energy levels?

I was on the lookout for a dog that would be good for flyball and agility (I love both) and also athletic in general and I came across Flash's litter. He came from an Aussie breeder who also has a pet ACD. She was out of town and her teenaged son let the ACD out with a female in heat...so along came the heeler litter

I was very nervous about getting one of these pups at first. I am very into dog sports and the outdoors, but still wasn't sure if I could provide a high drive herding dog with everything it needed. However the breeder was fantastic. She assured me that she selects Aussie lines with good "off switches" and that her ACD is also a very mellow guy in the house. So far Flash is just the same. He loves his walks and playtime but in general he is very, very laid back. Everyone who meets him comments on his sweet, calm temperament. I know he is still young (14 weeks) and things may change, but so far he is the best puppy I have ever owned!