View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
elmikethemike

Rep: 10 elmikethemike is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp1975 View Post
I love helping people find the right dog for them, so here are the questions I generally ask:

Are you comfortable getting a mixed breed, or do you need/want that larger bit of certainty that comes from having a pure bred?
I think I would prefer a purebred. I've had mixed breeds growing up as a child and they've all been fantastic, but this time around I think I'd like a purebred.

Quote:
Would you prefer to get a dog from a shelter, rescue group, or breeder?
Most likely a certified breeder, but I'd consider any option.

Quote:
Are you looking for a dog with bounce and energy to go on long runs with, or do you want a couch potato?
I'd say a medium energy level dog. I do work long hours sometimes, so I'd like him to be comfortable just lounging. But one that's also playful.

Quote:
Do you want a puppy, or would you prefer an older (possibly already housebroken) dog?
Can't technically be a puppy due to lease restrictions. It has to be several months old I believe, I'd have to check my lease for the rules on that. I don't want an older dog.

Quote:
How long will the dog be left alone each day?
At least 7-8 hours. I know this is kind of a long time and is my main reservation when it comes to getting one.

Quote:
Will the dog have the run of the apartment when you're gone, or will you crate?
He'll definitely have full-rein of the apartment once he's housebroken.

Quote:
How many people in your household?
Just myself.

Quote:
Do you live with kids, or will kids (esp. those younger than 8) be visiting regularly?
I do have family members in the area including my young neice and nephew, so yes.

Quote:
Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend Jack Russells or Miniature Pinschers, because in my experience, they need a little more space than an apartment can provide.
On the flip side I've found Greyhounds and Irish Wolfhounds to make wonderful apartment dogs (though these are out for you due to size restrictions).
Appreciate your help!