Thread: Puppy Classes
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
agilityk9trainer

Rep: 217 agilityk9trainer has a spectacular aura aboutagilityk9trainer has a spectacular aura aboutagilityk9trainer has a spectacular aura about
Unique Rep: 59

I start my puppies in puppy classes before they have their three rounds of shots. Yes, this poses a bit of a risk, but the early sociazation is so deeply important. When teaching puppy classes, i have never had (or heard of) a puppy who has had their first round of shots get sick through puppy class.

However, it is true that a tiny risk is present, and if you wait until the third round of shots, your risk is gone. I, personally, chose the importance of socialization over the tiny risk. But, my dogs are also being trained to take heavy stress in the agility show ring.

As far as ringcraft vs. puppy class, I wouldn't be considering ringcraft until my dog was an adult...and then only after an intense temperment test and only if I were a really, really strong trainer. This type of training is very on-edge and should only be done by the best of trainers.

Stick to puppy class and regular obedience classes. If, down the road, you and a professional trainer decide you and your dog are candidates for ringcraft, then you can do that then.
Laika NAJ, CGC (American Eskimo 1997 - 2012)

agilityk9trainer is offline agilityk9trainer's Gallery